For our guests valuable tips on how to enjoy the beauty of the island through alternative routes.

This bold Arch is what remains of a large grotto that penetrated the mountain. The waves of the sea extended its aperture and wasched away its debris. After the uplifting of the island during the paleolithic era, the grotto was freed from the erosive action of the waves and the wind and the rain trasformed its surface. On returning from the Natural Arch, a flight of steps descending to the valley below leads to the Matermania Grotto, an impressive natural cavern trasformed during Roman times into a luxurious Nymphaeum. To-day few remains of the wall, which were originally lined with mosaic „ tesserae” made of glass paste and decorated with multi-coloured plaster, shells and marine valves, have survived. These elements, now lost, were also found in the Arsenal Grotto, beneath the Gardens of Augustus. Beyond the Grotto, an easy path winding along the cliff bordering the sea lads to Via Pizzolungo and Villa Malaparte, (or “Casa come me”), built at Punta Massullo on a projet by architct Adalberto Libera. It continues up to Tragara Belvedere , from where the centre can be reach in a few minutes walking along the eponymous road (1 hour 30 mins.)

How to get there:
From Piazza Umberto I, on foot passing along via Longano, Sopramonte and Matermania or always from Piazza Umberto I passing via Le Botteghe, Croce and Matermania.

The French placed a cannon in the strategic location of this plateau in 1808 to defend the island’s southern sector. In the 20th century, and during the period of residence of the numerous colony of German painters who stopped here to paint, it was known as Malerplatte (Painters’Square). From here, there is a fine view of the Faraglioni rocks, the Sirens’ Rock, the Carthusian Monastery, the Gardens of Agustus and the Grotto of Ferns, an important prehistoric station, where finds dating to the Palaeolithic era and the bronze age have been discovered.

How to get there:
From Piazza Umberto I, follow Via Madre Serafina and Via Castello (20 mins.).

This is split up into two built-up areas: one is closed off by Via M. Serafina, Via S. Aniello, Via L’Abate and Via Posterula (small gate), after developing around the Case Grandi (Large Houses) from 1300 onwards; the other, to the north (behind Piazza Umberto I), is much older and developed around the small church of S. Maria delle Grazie (12th centuury), the parish church of Capri until 1556. From here Via Listrieri (alleyes), Via Li Curti, Via Parroco Canale and Via Le Botteghe branch out, as does Via Longano (from the Greek “longones” = large stones), a road winding its way along the 8th century B.C. megalithic walls. These two districts consisted of small houses, each with small closed off “corti” (courtyards), usually adjacent to each other and crossed by narrow vaulted streets that could be easily barricaded to keep out Saracen raiders.

How to get there:
From Piazza Umberto I

In 1862, French writer Maxime Du Camp saw Marina Grande as “…a tiny pebble beach cluttered with boats drawn out of the water, a row of flatroofed houses facing the sea…”. As there was no harbour, people arriving had to disembark directly onto the shore astride the sailors. Only in 1876 was a primitive landing-stage built and it was not until 1928 that the first wharf designed for embarking and disembarking operations was built. At the end of the presente-day jetty, in Piazzale Vittoria there is the funicular station for Capri, the bus station for both Capri and Anacapri and the taxi-park. To the left of the square, continuing along Via Cristoforo Colombo, and passing “Largo Fontana” and the seaside district, we reach the tourist marina.

This is the island’s southern landing place, set in a picturesque inlet at the foot of Mount Solaro. The small village faces Marina di Pennaulo to the east and Marina di Mulo to the west. Until the late 19th century it consisted of a small group of fishermen’s houses overlooking two small pebble beaches close to an ancient landing place of Roman origin and the famous “Scoglio delle Sirene”, dedicated to the popular belief in the mythical enchantresses. At the beginning of the 20th century, this spot was painting by many foreign artists, whose pictures are on display in museums all over the world. Since the end of the first world war, it has developed considerably thanks to the appeal of its ideal position for seaside tourism.

How to get there:
From Piazzetta Martiri d’Ungheria, by public bus or taxi (10 mins.). On foot, follow the short cut along Via Mulo, which starts at the end of Via Roma and comes out at the sea with a series of steps (20 mins.).

This charming, panoramic road leads to the eponymous Belvedere and the Faraglioni lower down. Memories of the Greek colonisation survive in the placename, which means “goats’ enclosure or pen”. Today’s Villa La Certosella marked the start of the impressive Roman residential complex, the only surviving part of which is the marble floor which was re-assembled in the Chapel of the Rosario in St. Stephen’s Cathedral in 1892.

How to reach
From Piazza Umberto I, on foot, passing along via V. Emanuele and Via Camerelle (20 mins.).

This road was the idea of German steel industrialist A.F. Krupp, who to this end purchased the “Fondo Certosa” (Certosa Estate), where part of the Gradens of Augustus are located. The road, which was built in 1902 on a project by Emilio Mayer, starts here and characteristically zig-zags its way to Marina Piccola. According to architect R. Pane, it proves “that even a road can be a work of art, not just metaphorically speaking, but in the true aesthetic meaning of the world”.

How to reach
From Piazza Umberto I, walk along Via V. Emanuele, Via F. Serena and Via Matteotti (15 mins.).

Giardini di Augusto
Opening time
9.00-19.30

Opening time in winter
9.00-17.30

Entrance fee: EUR 1.00 (1st March – 15 November)
For children with less than 12 years and residents in Capri and Anacapri admission is always free.

Via Krupp
Closed

The round trip of the island by boat starts from Marina Grande. Travelling west, we flank the beach of Marina Grande and of Bagni di Tiberio. The next stretch of coastline consist of the high calcareous cliff with fissures and grottoes covered by lush, indigenous vegetation. After passing Punta Gradola, we reach the Blue Grotto. Continuing our trip westwards, we pass by Cala del Rio, the largest creek on the western side of the island, and Cala Tombosiello, better known as Cala di Limmo. After rounding the Lighthouse of Punta Carena, we proceed until we reach: the Saint’s Grotto, inside which calcareous erosion and action of the sea have created schapes that resemble statues with a religious theme; the Red Grotto, so named because of the dark colour of the water produced by the seaweed and underwater influorescence; and the Green Grotto, with its multitude of colour and light effects. In the next stretch of coastline with the broad inlet of Cala Ventroso, dominated by sheer and steep cliffs, there are no more grottoes until we reach the end of the coastal area of Marina Piccola. A little further on, after passing Cala di Torre Saracena, beneath Via Krupp, appears the Arsenal Grotto, which was used as a temple and nymphaeum in Roman times. Its name is derived from the military use to which it was put during the Middle Ages and even more recently. About 200 m. fuhrter to the east, below the Carthusian monastery of San Giacomo, we find the Dark Grotto, access to which was obstructed by a landslide, that it the tower guarding the Chartusian monastery in 1808. A little further on, in a small protected inlet, lies the grotto known as the Sailors’s Hotel, which was used by fishermen as a schelter during sudden storms. After rounding Punta di Tragara with the Faraglioni rocks, we soon arrive at the small harbour of Tragara. The solitary rock on the opposite side is known as the Monacone; a few remains of Roman constructions are behind the legnd that Masgaba, the African architect of Octavian Augustus, was buied on this rock. Proceding towards Cala del Fico, in front of Punta Massullo, on which Villa Malaparte stands, and after rounding Cala di Matermania, at the foot of the large amphiteatre covery in greenery, we reach the White Grotto and the Marvellous Grotto. One can be reached from the sea, and the other by steps with a landing stage. They both provide extraordinary light effects due to the reflections of the water on the weird stalactit formations. The coastline, which until here previously fell sheer into the sea from about 200 m. of altitude with severely eroded and degraded walls, here becomes high and barren featuring a sparse Mediterranean brush and erosions in the calcareous rock. Until the next promontory Punta del Monaco, there are no grottoes opening up of any importence. After passing Cala del Salto, below the “Salto di Tiberio”, we reach the small automatic lighthouse perched on a low rock protruding forwards, known as “Longa di Basso”. Higher up, the original woodland of Capri can be seen, consisting mainly of holm oaks (Quercus Ilex). Beyond Punta del Capo, we flank a stretch of coastline with large rocky boulders after which the „ Scoglio della Ricotta” emerges. After passing Punta Fucile (Rifle Point), thus named due to the characteristic shape of the fissure cut into its rocks, we reach the Grotto of the Sea Ox, a refuge of the “Monaca” seal, once a common sight in the Mediterranean. This is followed by the last inlet before returning to Marina Grande, Marina di Caterola, whose reef was produced in 1971 by the crumbling of the overlyng calcareous ridge.

The excursion (about 2 hours) cannot be made in adverse weather conditions.

The current road retraces the ancient route of the Roman road which from Capodimonte, the limit of the Graeco-Roman staircase, crossed the higher part of the territory of Anacapri to reach the Belvedere overhanging the Tuoro and Limmo creeks. The Limmo creek culminated in Punta Carena and the Lighthouse. Until the last century, fragments of coloured plaster and construction work belonging to a Roman settlement could be seen in this spot.

How to reach:
From Piazza Vittoria in Anacapri, follow Via Caposcuro, close to the chair-lift for Mount Solaro (40 mins.).

The development of this seventeenth century district is linked to the building of the church of S. Sofia and the migration of the population towards land more suitable for cultivation further down the valley. It owes its name to the complex of houses which sprang up around the old Piazza delle Ficacciate. These houses were covered with barrel and cloister vaults in the form of swellings, which in Neapolitan slang are called “boffe”.

How to reach
From Piazza Vittoria, follow Via G. Orlandi,, Piazza S. Nicola and Via Finestrale, or, take Via G. Orlandi, Piazza Diaz and Via Le Boffe (5 mins.).

The imposing summit of Monte Solaro offers, at 589 metres, spectacular views over the whole island, the Bay of Naples, the Bay of Salerno and out towards Ischia. A chairlift will take you to the summit, or you can walk up the mountain. Coming back down on foot is easier, though it will still take you about an hour or so, and longer if you take the detour to the hermitage of Cetrella, which we recommend. It dates back to the 14th century and was founded by Carthusian monks. There is poetry in the harmonious interplay of its vaults and in its splendid isolation. Its name apparently derives from the aromatic erba cetra (melissa); the mountain is a treasure trove of important botanical rarities. Before you get to the hermitage, you will come across what was once the house of the Scottish writer Compton Mackenzie. It has recently been restored by the Amici di Cetrella and is now a centre for the study of local flora and fauna, with a library and a garden containing a small collection of local species.

Route: Take the chairlift from Piazza Vittoria in Anacapri (12 minutes), or walk up the mountain (60 minutes) using Via Capodimonte, Via Monte Solaro and then following the path.

A seaside resort and landing place, this picturesque inlet situated to the west of the island, is set in a typically Mediterranean landscape. The lighthouse, which was built over a century ago, is the second largest in Italy in terms of size and power after Genoa’s.

How to reach:
from Anacapri, Piazzetta Cimitero, by public bus, or, from Piazza Vittoria, by taxi (10 mins.)
On foot, from Piazzetta Caprile (40 mins.)

On the West coast of the island is an extraordinarily beautiful and long route which is rich in the intense smells and colours of Mediterranean shrubland. Set amid seemingly sculpted rocky promontories and strikingly deep inlets filled with crystal clear water are the “Fortini” (blockhouses) from where the Via gets its name. Built at the time of the Saracen invasions, they were transformed into short range artillery “redoubts” by the English and French during the Napoleonic wars. Today, in the place of the thunder of cannons, there is only the voice of the wind and sea. The words of the poet Rainer M. Rilke, who was enamoured with Anacapri, resound endlessly: “Timeless sea breezes, that for aeons have, blown ancient rocks, youare purest space, coming from afar…”. To sit on the lacework-like rocks and contemplate the changing colours around you as time slowly passes is source of great inner peace and a change to truly get in touch with one’s inner-self. The great history and landscape led the Municipality of Anacapri to carry out European Union funded restoration work on the nlockhouses and paths in 1998.

(Tullia G. Rizzotti, “Il respiro del vento” (page 47) from “Capri in fiore” Copyright 2003 – Editoriale Giorgio Mondadori, all right reserved. Published by Azienda di Soggiorno e Turismo Isola di Capri).

The path starts from Punta Carena (or Punta dell’Arcera) and winds along the western coast of the island until it ends near Punta dell’Arcera, below the road that leads from Anacapri to Grotta Azzurra. From here, one can return to Anacapri with the service bus or by taxi (tel. 081 8371175). Along the path, in the fascinating colours of the Mediterranean flora, set among the little promontories of wild beauty and bays of turquoise water, one finds the small forts of Pino, Mèsola and Órrico, dating from the period of the Saracen raids.

Total length: 5,2 km.
Change in altitude: 120 m.
Minumum time: 4 to 5 hours

The itinerary can be broken up into several sections by making use of the various roads that cross the route.

In the vast panorama of island tourism, the “Passetiello” represents one of the “par excellence” paths, that the true lovers of nature and walking must have seen at least once in their life … It is definitely among the most suggestive of paths, not only due to the fact that it is immerged in Mediterranean bush, but also due to the variety of the landscape and sceneries that open to the eyes of the visitors. An old mule track, the ancient connection road between Capri and Anacapri, that, departing from the location called Due Golfi, just a short distance from the centre of Capri, it climbs along the rocky coast, until it reaches the anacaprese territory, in the Cetrella valley. The path is for enthusiasts, as several sections are extremely difficult, with long steep slopes and it is obviously recommended to wear appropriate clothing, and in particular adequate footwear. Along the first part of the path there is an ilex wood, one of the three ilex woods still present on the island, with the typical Mediterranean flora, that then mixes into a deciduous wood that proliferates in this area thanks to the marine tides that create the ideal microclima. Finally one reaches the Passetiello where, by climbing a high rock face, one can view the scenery of the Faraglioni and the Marina Piccola. The arrival at the Cetrella valley with its hermitage, brings this fascinating route to an end, where there is a typical chestnut grove and the Anginola valley with a black pine grove (Pinus nigra), arboreal essence native of Asia and the mountainous areas of Eastern Europe. It is possible to return to the centre of Anacapri from Cetrella along a path or, by going up again towards Mount Solaro by using the chair life service.

How to get there
Due Golfi. After the inhabited area and cultivated fields, between the ilex groves and the high bush one reaches the Cetrella valley, near the ancient hermitage of St. Maria, with a splendid view of the Faraglioni.
Max height m. 589 – Time needed for the trip: around 3 hours.

The Philosophical Park, with the Migliera View Point is a magic place. Simply walk along its small paths immersed in the uncontaminated nature of this Mediterranean island . As one walks along the paths it is possible to find around sixty philosophical quotations, starting with an ancient inscription by Delphi through to a quote by Einstein. This encounter with the thoughts of wise man in the silence of such a place of rare natural beauty is stunning. It is also possible to find a small book of the quotations at the Park, with some “Meditations on Western Wisdom.”

How to get there
From Piazza Vittoria, take Via Capodimonte, next to the chair lift for Mount Solaro (40 mins.).